Furnace Safety Tip #2: Ensure Ventilation
Updated: Aug 19, 2019
By Carrie Privette
The days are becoming shorter and temperatures cooler. If you haven't turned on your heater for the first time, you soon will. Heating is the second leading cause of winter home fires. Read our article, "Furnace Safety Tip #1: Clear the Area" to find out what you can do to protect your loved ones from this threat.
But, fire hazards aren't the only safety concern we encounter on service and maintenance calls this time of the year. Next on our list would be an invisible killer, carbon monoxide poisoning. With that, here is our second tip: Ensure Ventilation!
Gas furnaces produce an odorless, colorless gas called carbon monoxide. Clean, well maintained heaters produce a small amount of this gas that is usually carried away through the ventilation system. However, if the vent stack is clogged with leaves, birds, wasp nests, or other debris; the gas can quickly build to a dangerous level inside your home. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can range in severity from flu-like symptoms to death. Reduce your family's risk by installing a carbon monoxide detector and having a professional inspect and clean your heating and ventilation system annually.